Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Haggis Experience...

I know it's been a while since i last blogged, but Internet in the UK has been scars and ridiculously overpriced... So, we arrived in London just over a week ago now. The Hostel was good, if we just skate over the little detail of the bed anyway... and was in a very very sheik little location, which was a much needed change from the slums we had to endure in Ireland. On our last evening in Cork, we had resided to the fact that it was probable we would not make it through the night. Alas, we did and now we laugh about it, but at the time, well, I wanted to curl up into a little ball and cry. Very scary place...
We joined our tour after two days of SHOPPING in London. It was a good idea at the time however our food budget has suffered severely since. The folk on our tour are for the most part, lovely. You're always going to get a few odd balls in a group in excess of forty people, but as a general rule, just lovely! We miss our French tour companions Ariel and Roberto though... sigh...
Scotland. Oh my darling Scotland. It was DEVINE! After Paris I would rate Edinburgh as being the most striking place visited. It was grand (which I love) and cultured, (which I also love) with a flair of that wonderful Scottish culture. On our second night in the Highlands, we were treated to a traditional Scottish feast. Let me set the scene for you;
We are all seated and had just eaten our entre. No one is expecting anything out of the ordinary to occur. Then, we hear the distant wail of a bagpipe. In comes a kilt cladden man, bagpipes and all, followed by a waiter, with a plate of Haggis. They make there was to the front of the room, the Scottish man recites a Haggis related poem that I could barely distinguish through his Scottish drawl, then plows his knife through the meat, and exits the room, playing the bagpipes once more. Taken aback by the entrance of epic proportions given to the Haggis, we all raise a glass of scotch to the Haggis, before tasting a little. It was rather nice, but nothing special, I must say.
I am afraid I am running out of time so I'll leave it at that for now.
Love M.

No comments:

Post a Comment